Contrary to what a quick Google search will tell you, looping video on an iPhone or iPod Touch is simple, easy, and most importantly, FREE – using built-in features. I tried a ton of video player apps before I actually found a solution that works – figured others would benefit from this post, so here it goes….
** Just realized that this only works on iOS < 5 – which is great for me, since my old iPhone 3G is doubling as a fantastic slideshow device right now on iOS 4.2.1 connected to my (used) new HP xb31 projector – but does not work on my iPhone 4 running iOS 6.1.2, or my wife’s iPhone 4S running iOS 7.0 – which will be frustrating when those devices get demoted to a repurposed use.
This article will show you how to:
- Repeat a video so that it resumes playing from the beginning when it is finished
- Repeat a video playlist so that the playlist will begin from the first video after all have played
The basic concept is to create a playlist that contains the video or videos you’d like to repeat/replay, and then when playing them, set the play mode to loop. They will continue indefinitely, or until your battery runs out.
- Create a new playlist in the iPod app
- Open the playlist – and choose “Add” or “+”
- Tap “Video” – this allows you to select videos to add to your new playlist
- Select the video(s) you’d like to play a loop of
- Tap the first video (or wherever you’d like to start playing)
- Now in the video player – there is a button in the top left that controls the looping when you have a playlist loaded. When it is blue, the playlist/video will loop or repeat until you intervene!